Ignite is the first game of its kind, a fast-paced, strategic, battling deckbuilder where asymmetric races battle for supremacy over the land of Oshos. All 1-8 players (Solo/co-op play only with "A New Enemy" expansion) begin with the same meager equipment and weapons. Then, through shrewd purchasing, tactical movement, opportunistic attacks, and the use of terrain effects, players match wits on the battlefield. Whoever claims the most trophies becomes the dominant race of the land. Click here to see our Explainer Video.
Ignite plays in roughly 15-20 minutes per experienced player. Our favorite feedback we've received a few times is "I feel like I played a heavier game than how long it took!"
Please note, Ignite is not a CCG (like Magic: The Gathering) or a TCG (like Pokemon). This is a deckbuilding game (like Dominion or Ascension) where everything you need to play comes in the box.
(For you CCG & TCG players out there, imagine that every player starts with the same starting deck which they customize as they play; essentially "buying" their "booster pack cards" from the table during the game rather than from a store before the game, allowing for quick setup, high strategy, lower budget, and high replayability.)
- You love deckbuilders, but want something a bit more epic, more interactive, more battle-oriented, with super creative card effects and an exciting end-game.
- You love dudes-on-a-map or area control games and want something totally unique.
- You want to gladiator net your friend in place and then drop a meteor strike on their head.
- You want to become the king of the kraken, feeding your enemies to it by charming or possessing them.
- The idea of pulling your friend into a lava pool makes you smile.
- Special, asymmetric race abilities
- Variably built board
- Tactical terrain effects
- Large miniatures (55mm scale)
- A "dice-free" game (excluding Solo/Coop mode)
- 5 different game modes (6 with Solo/Coop expansion)
- Imaginative and exciting card effects
- Deep strategy with low complexity
- Over 1100 cards with The Freeze expansion
- No player elimination
- Endless replayability & variety
- Dagger-in-the-back damage tracking system
Go here for our "How to Play Ignite in 4 Minutes" video (made by The Rules Girl)
All units have 3 hit points (designated by putting a dagger into the back of the unit). When a player does the final point of damage to a unit, they take that miniature as a trophy. Whichever player has the most trophies at the end of the game is the winner.
The game ends when:
- Only 1 player remains
- 1 Player reaches the trophy limit
- (2-3 Player game: 4 trophies)
- (4-8 Player game: 5 trophies)
Each card in Ignite can either be played for its honor value (allowing you to buy more cards) or for its battle effect. Battle effects are how you will manipulate your deck, attack enemy units, and defend your own units. You only have 6 cards to work with each turn, so use them wisely.
All cards have an advantage and a disadvantage:
The land of Oshos has become corrupted through the use of magic, the land changing to a tainted state. You must use the battlefields terrain to your advantage. It is often the difference between a great victory and a terrible defeat.
Our miniatures are 55mm scale (eyes to feet). This is so we could make more detailed and dynamic miniatures. Additionally, they needed to be this size in order to make the "dagger in the back" damage system work (otherwise the daggers would be tiny).
(Blood Rage and Scythe miniatures used to show scale)
When a player has lost all of their units, they begin spawning water minions from their starting position, but they no longer use their deck. This allows players to stay involved (playtesters have gotten as many as 3 trophies through smart water minion play), as well as helping speed up the end game.
Go here to see our World Building Video.
The Freeze expansion takes everything you love about Ignite and raises it to the next level. It includes incredibly creative card effects. You"ll be able to implement Hex cards (cards similar to Curses in Dominion), as well as Poison effects and even War Machines. Additionally, you"ll gain the use of acid and snow which increase the variability and impact of the board setup.
With both the Base Game and The Freeze, you"ll have 100 sets of Battle Cards to use (plus Stretch Goals). That"s over 1100 cards! Not only that, but you"ll have 2 additional races to battle with, each with their own asymmetric race ability.
The A New Enemy expansion allows for the entirety of Ignite to be played Solo or Cooperatively (all the way up to 8 players). It turns the game into a "waves of enemies" game (sort of like a tower defense game). If you survive long enough, the dragon will appear. If you are able to defeat him, you win the game.
A New Enemy can be played all the way up to 8 player or all the way down to 1. It requires both the Base Game and The Freeze expansion to be able to be played.
Click the image to be taken to the video or article.
Blue Player Solo Playthrough (Part 1)
Blue Player - Solo Playthrough (Part 2)
Darren's Solo Playthrough (condensed)
Competitive Playthrough 1 (condensed)
Competitive Playthrough 2 (condensed)
Tantrum House Playthrough (condensed)
Note 1: This game, with all of the giant minis and especially with all of the cards, is quite heavy. Our estimates are putting it at 10 lbs for the base game, 18 lbs for the base game and The Freeze, and over 20 lbs for all 3 boxes.
Note 2: World shipping is based on an average across all countries outside the main regions and actual shipping will be dependent on the final destination.
Note 3: We do not ship to Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Central African Republic, Cuba, Equatorial Guinea, Falklands, Iran, North Korea, Syierra Leone, Myanmar, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, and Afghanistan.
Note 4: Depending on legislature passing in the EU, EU shipping costs may increase due to a large increase in customs. We are expecting to be fine, but want EU backers to be aware.
Here is our timeline for the creation of this game. As you can tell we are building in a lot of buffer time to ensure that we under-promise and over-deliver.
We'd love for Ignite to be available at retailers, however it is highly likely we will not be able to provide it through normal distribution channels.
However, if you're a physical store retailer who would like to carry Ignite, you can send us an email here and we can discuss details.
All copies purchased this way will include unlocked Stretch Goals and Kickstarter Exclusives.
- By backing Ignite, you are acknowledging that changes can occur within the gameplay, components, artwork, etc. We want to produce the best game for you, which may include changes to what is shown. This is not a pre-order system. The physical pieces shown here (and in review videos) are prototypes and are not the final product.
- If you would like to purchase additional copies of the game, simply add the appropriate amount to your pledge. You'll later be able to specify your rewards within the Pledge Manager.
- If you do not confirm your pledge within 8 weeks of our notification email (asking you to confirm your pledge), you agree that we have done our part in contacting you and our obligation is fulfilled. However, if you later contact us and confirm your pledge after the 8 week window, we may (at our discretion) choose to refund or ship your pledge.
- If you respond to our notification email, confirming your pledge within the 8 week window, you agree that (1) our responsibility is to ship your order as entered into the pledge manager (2) the title and risk passes to you upon delivery to a shipment facility (3) you are responsible for any additional import duties or other duties that may be required upon receipt (4) you are responsible for providing the correct address that is deliverable to by normal shipping means.
- During the campaign, an order can be canceled by clicking the applicable button within the Kickstarter website.
- We can refund your pledge fully (with fees) within 14 days of the campaign's end. After this window, we are able to provide refunds minus Kickstarter and payment processing fees. However, once we begin packing your pledge for shipment (usually 1-2 months before the actual shipping of the game), no refunds are possible.
- Please note that we are unable to ship to PO Boxes.
Risks and challenges:
The game is 98% complete. We have all of the card artwork, the rules, the board artwork, the 3D sculpts. The final pieces still needed are being worked on during the campaign (back of the box, reference card images, finalizing the illustrated rulebook). This means that we'll be able to begin the manufacturing process shortly after the campaign closes.
We are using a manufacturing company from China who are successful and have made dozens of other board games without incident.
We have done everything we can on our end to ensure this process goes quickly and easily, however there is no guarantee this will happen. We have built in some buffer within our production schedule as we desire to "under-promise & over-deliver."