After starting pre-production in 2019, we launched our first crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter in 2020. We were absolutely blown away by the response from fans, which saw our project become one of the most successful Kickstarter documentary campaigns of all time.
Since then, we’ve made significant progress, filming more than 30 interviews and 60+ hours of footage despite COVID limiting our ability to film for many months*.
We’ve also added 25 new Sci-Fi legends to our cast, including incredible names like Peter Weller (RoboCop), Jesse Ventura (Predator, Running Man), and Bruce Boxleitner (Tron, Babylon 5).
With this progress, we felt the time was right to open up the campaign to a fresh wave of ‘80s Sci-Fi fans. Regardless of whether you’ve checked us out before, but held off on backing or you’re just discovering our project for the first time, you've come at just the right time. Keep reading to discover information on our vision for the project, a brief synopsis, a detailed cast list, and information on the rewards you can get for backing our project.
*For more information about our response to COVID and how it could affect our project, please read the ‘Risks and Challenges’ section at the end of this page.
This documentary will be our love-letter to the Sci-Fi films we grew up with; the films that dared to ask, "what if?" and offered us a vision of future technology, society, and culture that simultaneously delighted, amazed and scared us.
We still remember the magic of seeing these films for the first time, and we’ve been trying to recapture that feeling ever since. Vader’s redemption, Ripley’s duel with the Alien Queen, Roy Batty’s “Tears in Rain”, and many more. Moments that surprised us. Moments that moved us. Moments that left a lasting impact on our subconscious. Years later, we’re still trying to recapture these transformative experiences.
We are making this documentary to celebrate, explore, and recontextualize these films and the influence they’ve had both on ourselves and our culture. We want to go beyond the movies, to the science, technology, and art they’ve inspired. This documentary will be a time capsule, capturing unheard stories and perspectives not just for us, but for future generations.
We want to do this project for all these reasons, and for the simplest one of all – because when the lights go down, we’re all kids again.
In Search of Tomorrow Movie Poster by Clayton Benge
In Search of Tomorrow will take viewers on a year-by-year deep dive into the many awe-inspiring worlds of ‘80s Sci-Fi movies, breaking down the most iconic and eccentric films you know and love (and many you may have forgotten or missed), and examining the science, technology, and artistry behind the fiction.
The completed feature will be more than four hours long and feature insights and anecdotes from an extensive collection of experts and iconic talent, including filmmakers, actors, special-effects and visual effects masters, tech advisors, authors, influencers, and visionaries. Not only will they tell their own stories, but they will share opinions about their own favorite Sci-Fi movies.
Through our interviews with ‘80s Sci-Fi masters and subject-matter experts we will explore a wide range of issues, including:
- Heroes and Heroines: Hear from the actors, writers, directors, and producers who brought Sci-Fi icons such as Rick Deckard, Ellen Ripley, and the Terminator to your movie screen.
- SFX Breakdowns: Learn how your favorite robot, creature, and spaceship effects were created. We’ll be interviewing the artists who designed and operated the models, puppets, and animatronics that brought some of your favorite creatures and characters to life.
- Production Design & Worldbuilding: Learn about the creation of the costumes, weapons, and post-apocalyptic landscapes that set the scene for our favorite stories.
- Socio/Political Context: How ‘80s Sci-Fi reflected the socio-political context in which it was made: Tech advances, Reaganomics, Live AID, big business, and the AIDS crisis.
- Genre Mixing: Exploring how other genres - fantasy, action, horror, and comedy - are very much intertwined with the Sci-Fi genre. Where does one begin and the other end?
- Legacy: Discuss the importance of ‘80s Sci-Fi genre in a modern-day context. Why is ‘80s Sci-Fi still so relevant today?
In Search of Tomorrow Poster 2 by Dave Merrell
Our last Kickstarter project, In Search of Darkness, successfully shipped to more than 25,000 backers and customers. This project - a four-hour-plus epic on the ‘80s horror movie genre - received critical acclaim, was nominated for Best Documentary at the Rondo Hatton Awards, and received an incredible reception from fans. In 2020, we followed this with a sequel, In Search of Darkness: Part II, which achieved even better reviews than the first.
This time we’re going to do even better.
We’ve now been working on In Search of Tomorrow for two years, during which we’ve interviewed and signed up a who’s who of ‘80s science fiction. The strength of our cast, coupled with the valuable lessons we’ve learned from making our previous documentaries, makes us confident this will be the best documentary we’ve ever made.
- Actors, such as Sean Young (Rachael in Blade Runner, Chani in Dune), Henry Thomas (Elliott in E.T.), Sam J. Jones (Flash Gordon in Flash Gordon), Lance Guest (Alex in The Last Starfighter), and Jesse Ventura (Blain in Predator and Captain Freedom in The Running Man).
- Directors, including Paul Verhoeven (RoboCop), Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan), and Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters I & II).
- SFX & VFX Experts, including Dennis Muren (The Empire Strikes Back, E.T.), Douglas Trumbull (Blade Runner, Star Trek: The Motion Picture), and John Dykstra (Star Wars, Firefox).
- Plus a wide range of other experts including film editors, sci-fi journalists, and scientists. Check out the cast list below to see the 75+ already attached to the project.
These fantastic contributors have put their faith in our vision by attaching their name to our project - we hope you will do the same. Your support will go towards the cost of production, filming interviews, and post-production, as well as getting a few more big names on board.
Back now to get your name in the credits and help us make the ultimate ‘80s Sci-Fi documentary. Rewards include a free digital copy of In Search of Darkness (ships with community access after you have backed), for those who haven’t backed us in the past, and a special Pin for backers who have backed either In Search of the Last Action Heroes or In Search of Darkness.
In the fall we’ll be holding an exclusive online event for people who have backed In Search of Tomorrow on Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or CrowdOx. We’ll be showing clips from the documentary alongside discussion and commentary from Director David Weiner and other members of the team, as well as offering backers the opportunity to ask questions about the project.
To access this event and see some clips from the documentary before anyone else, all you need to do is pre-order. Backers will be notified of the event by email and it will be recorded for those that cannot make it.
In Search of Tomorrow Poster 3 by Graham Humphreys
In addition to the documentary itself (Digital, Factory-Pressed DVD, or Factory-Pressed Blu-Ray) we have a wide range of physical rewards to thank our backers for their support. Please check the below section ‘Pledge Tiers’ to see which rewards are available at which level.
In addition to your physical rewards, you will receive access to our exclusive online Discord community for backers. This community will become your second home as you discuss your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films, follow the documentary’s progress, and partake in a range of exciting members-only activities.
We’ve been running this community with a small selection of supporters for several months and it has been enormously popular. We can’t wait to invite our backers in: this is the place where there will always be someone ready to discuss your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films.
Check out our community trailer to learn more:
- Watch Parties - We regularly gather online to sync up our films and watch old favorites together whilst participating in a group conversation about the movie. Love watching films with friends? It’s like that - only online.
- Special Guest Q&As - We invite experts to talk with us on specific aspects of ‘80s Sci-Fi. You’ll learn about filmmaking, worldbuilding, and hear behind-the-scenes stories from your favorite films. These will be in-depth and full of information that would be impossible to find elsewhere
- Interact With Our Team - Our team is very active in the community and we look forward to meeting you and discussing ‘80s Sci-Fi and In Search of Tomorrow with you. This is your opportunity to join the journey as we build this documentary.
- Shape The Future of the Documentary - As a member of our community, we’ll be relying on you to provide opinions on why you love certain films and to give feedback on rough-cuts of our documentary. This is your chance to get involved, contribute, and help us make it the best documentary possible.
Please note: Access will be granted to the community automatically through our pledge management software CrowdOx once you have backed. Please check your inbox!
In addition to your invite you will also receive our Community Starter Guide, a special PDF document we’ve created to onboard you to the project, provide you with more detail about what we’re planning for In Search of Tomorrow, and help you to start getting involved and providing feedback on the project.
The Community Starter Guide will include:
- Foreword from Executive Producer and CREATORVC CEO Robin Block
- Welcome Letter from Director David Weiner
- Full, Highly-Detailed Synopsis for In Search of Tomorrow
- How to get started on Discord and start interacting with other members
- Community rules and guidelines
Back now to receive access to our exclusive backer community and your Community Starter Guide. Backers at the Rick Deckard (Associate Producer) tier and above will also get access to our Top Backers Channel.
Regardless of the level of funding we receive through this Indiegogo, we are committed to finishing our documentary. So why should you get involved now?
- Get It First - Our Indiegogo backers will be among the first to receive their documentary and rewards.
- Your Name in the Credits - Be part of history with your name in the end credits of In Search of Tomorrow.
- Community - We are committed to providing incredible value through our online community. The watch parties, special guest Q&As, interaction with our team, and the opportunity to input on the future of the documentary. Customers who buy after launch won’t be able to experience these same benefits.
- Join The Journey - Follow the process of creating the documentary as we make it! You’ll be the first to hear casting news, get to share your thoughts on your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films, and will also get access to rough-cuts as we build the documentary.
- Help Make Documentary a Success - Your early support will help ensure the documentary is a success. By backing us now, we can use the funds you pledge to make a documentary that does justice to the movies we love and the people that made them.
Ready to join the journey? Choose your pledge level now!
Pre-production for In Search of Tomorrow started in 2019, with filming commencing Autumn 2020. Despite the limitations posed by COVID we have been able to film more than 30 interviews, with many more booked in for the near future. Although we already have a very large cast we’ll still be aiming to add a few more big-hitters before we wrap up. Backers will be sent their physical rewards in December 2021.
Our physical rewards are manufactured and shipped from the United States. Backers will receive a tracking number and our items are sent in very study packaging (posters rolled, not folded) to ensure everything arrives with you safely.
Because shipping costs vary substantially depending on whether you are in the US or Rest of World, we have decided not to include shipping costs in the pledge tiers. Instead, shipping costs are as follows:
USA - £8 (approx. $11)
UK - £13 (approx. $18)
Rest of World - £13 (approx. $18)
We are a remote team based across the U.S. and Europe who came together around a shared love of creating great content. Our documentaries include In Search of the Last Action Heroes, In Search of Darkness Part I and II (‘80s Horror) and the upcoming In Search of Tomorrow (‘80s Sci-Fi), First Person Shooter (FPS Games), In Search of Darkness: Part III, and In Search of Pixels.
- Robin Block - Executive Producer & Founder of CREATORVC
- David Weiner - Director/Writer/Producer
- Andrew Hawkins - Producer
- James Evans - Producer
- Karla Hampton - Producer/Affiliate Program Manager
- Samuel Way - Film Editor
- Nick Bosworth - Trailer/Montage Editor
- Clayton Benge - Art Director
- Paul Konschake - Motion Graphics
- Andrew Dalton - Community Manager
We’ve partnered with our friends at New Retro Wave again to curate our official soundtrack. NewRetroWave is one of the leading voices in the emerging Retrowave scene, providing exposure to Retrowave artists who perfectly match the ‘80s aesthetic we’re celebrating.
Our soundtrack for In Search of Darkness was a huge success, reaching #5 on the electronic music Billboard Chart. We can’t wait to hear this one!
As with any documentary, there are risks and challenges that may arise over the course of the production of this film. Our past experience funding, producing, and distributing documentaries, plus the work we’ve already put in, means we are very confident of meeting our backer’s expectations - however, unforeseen delays are possible.
If you were a backer of In Search of Darkness, you will know that we experienced delays with manufacturing and shipping for that product. This was due to mistakes we made when choosing a distribution partner, which led to us making a switch. We now have a very reliable US-based partner and do not anticipate further problems in this area.
We also have a responsibility to protect the stars we are interviewing, some of whom have health concerns that make them more vulnerable to COVID, and we take this very seriously. For this reason we were forced to put filming on hold during late 2020 for several months, resulting in the release date being pushed back to December 2021. We currently anticipate meeting this deadline, but further spikes in COVID could disrupt this timeline.
As always, we will keep backers fully updated regarding the situation and they will know well in advance if there is likely to be a delay.
We have accurately portrayed our project as it stands at this point in time, however, creative projects are subject to change and ours is no exception. By making a pledge you acknowledge that elements of the project, including but not limited to the artwork, cast, and content, is subject to change, and that the final project may differ from what is presented while the Indiegogo campaign is active.
All backers are welcome to join our community, but to do so they must conform to the community rules which govern appropriate behavior. Repeated failure to act appropriately in the community will result in a ban.