This documentary will be our love-letter to the Sci-Fi films we grew up with; the films that dared to ask, "what if?" and offered us a vision of future technology, society, and culture that simultaneously delighted, amazed and scared us.
We still remember the magic of seeing these films for the first time, and we’ve been trying to recapture that feeling ever since. Vader’s redemption, Ripley’s duel with the Alien Queen, Roy Batty’s “Tears in Rain”, and many more. Moments that surprised us. Moments that moved us. Moments that left a lasting impact on our subconscious. Years later, we’re still trying to recapture these transformative experiences.
We are making this documentary to celebrate, explore, and recontextualise these films and the influence they’ve had both on ourselves and our culture. We want to go beyond the movies, to the science, technology, and art they’ve inspired. This documentary will be a time capsule, capturing unheard stories and perspectives not just for us, but for future generations.
We want to do this project for all these reasons, and for the simplest one of all – because when the lights go down, we’re all kids again.
In Search of Tomorrow will take viewers on a year-by-year deep dive into the many awe-inspiring worlds of ‘80s Sci-Fi movies, breaking down the most iconic and eccentric films you know and love (and many you may have forgotten or missed), and examining the science, technology, and artistry behind the fiction.
The completed feature will be more than four hours long and feature insights and anecdotes from an extensive collection of experts and iconic talent, including filmmakers, actors, special-effects and visual effects masters, tech advisors, authors, influencers, and visionaries. Not only will they tell their own stories, but they will share opinions about their own favorite Sci-Fi movies.
Through our interviews with ‘80s Sci-Fi masters and subject-matter experts we want to explore a wide range of issues, including:
- Heroes and Heroines: Hear from the actors, writers, directors, and producers who brought Sci-Fi icons such as Rick Deckard, Ellen Ripley, and the Terminator to your movie screen.
- SFX Breakdowns: Learn how your favorite robot, creature, and spaceship effects were created. We’ll be interviewing the artists who designed and operated the models, puppets, and animatronics that brought some of your favorite creatures and characters to life.
- Production Design & Worldbuilding: Learn about the creation of the costumes, weapons, and post-apocalyptic landscapes that set the scene for our favorite stories.
- Socio/Political Context: How ‘80s Sci-Fi reflected the socio-political context in which it was made: Tech advances, Reaganomics, Live AID, big business, and the AIDS crisis.
- Genre Mixing: Exploring how other genres - fantasy, action, horror, and comedy - are very much intertwined with the Sci-Fi genre. Where does one begin and the other end?
- Legacy: Discuss the importance of ‘80s Sci-Fi genre in a modern-day context. Why is ‘80s Sci-Fi still so relevant today?
Our last Kickstarter project, In Search of Darkness, successfully shipped to more than 25,000 backers and customers. This project - a four-hour-plus epic on the ‘80s horror movie genre - received critical-acclaim, was nominated for Best Documentary at the Rondo Hatton Awards, and received an incredible reception from fans.
This time we’re going to do even better.
We’ve already been working on In Search of Tomorrow for a year and we’ve signed up some incredible names to our cast including Sean Young (Rachael in Blade Runner, Chani in Dune), Henry Thomas (Elliott in E.T.), Sam J. Jones (Flash Gordon in Flash Gordon), and Lance Guest (Alex in The Last Starfighter) - and we’re adding more all the time. Check out the cast list below to see the 50+ names already attached to the project.
These fantastic contributors have put their faith in our vision by attaching their name to our project - we hope you will do the same. Your support will go towards the cost of production, filming interviews, and post-production. This Kickstarter is an essential stage to realizing our vision and we can’t do it without you - and we wouldn’t want to.
Back now to get your name in the credits and help us make the ultimate ‘80s Sci-Fi documentary. Rewards include a free digital copy of In Search of Darkness (ships 05/19), for those who haven’t backed us in the past, and a special Pin for backers who have backed either In Search of the Last Action Heroes or In Search of Darkness.
In addition to your physical rewards, you will receive access to our exclusive online Discord community for backers. This community will become your second home as you discuss your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films, follow the documentary’s progress, and partake in a range of exciting members-only activities.
We’ve been running this community with a small selection of supporters for several months and it has been enormously popular. We can’t wait to invite our backers in: this is the place where there will always be someone ready to discuss your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films.
Check out our community trailer to hear from a few of our founding members:
- Watch Parties - We regularly gather online to sync up our films and watch old favorites together whilst participating in a group conversation about the movie. Love watching films with friends? It’s like that - only online.
- Special Guest Q&As - We invite experts to talk with us on specific aspects of ‘80s Sci-Fi. You’ll learn about filmmaking, worldbuilding, and hear behind-the-scenes stories from your favorite films. These will be in-depth and full of information that would be impossible to find elsewhere
- Interact With Our Team - Our team is very active in the community and we look forward to meeting you and discussing ‘80s Sci-Fi and In Search of Tomorrow with you. This is your opportunity to join the journey as we build this documentary.
- Shape The Future of the Documentary - As a member of our community, we’ll be relying on you to provide opinions on why you love certain films and to give feedback on rough-cuts of our documentary. This is your chance to get involved, contribute, and help us make it the best documentary possible.
Please note: We aim to provide access to the community within 48 hours of you placing your pre-order.
In addition to your invite you will also receive our Community Starter Guide, a special PDF document we’ve created to onboard you to the project, provide you with more detail about what we’re planning for In Search of Tomorrow, and help you to start getting involved and providing feedback on the project.
The Community Starter Guide will include:
- Foreword from Executive Producer and CreatorVC CEO Robin Block
- Welcome Letter from Director David Weiner
- Full, Highly-Detailed Synopsis for In Search of Tomorrow
- How to get started on Discord and start interacting with other members
- Community rules and guidelines
Back now to receive access to our exclusive backer community and your Community Starter Guide from 05/19. Backers at the Rick Deckard (Associate Producer) tier and above will also get access to our Top Backers Channel.In addition to the documentary itself (Digital, Factory-Pressed DVD, or Factory-Pressed Blu-Ray) we have a wide range of physical rewards to thank our backers for their support. Please check the below section ‘Pledge Tiers’ to see which rewards are available at which level. You can also select Extras to add to your tier if you want to add another physical reward (or get a second copy of one).
Regardless of the level of funding we receive, we are committed to finishing our documentary. So why should you get involved now?
- Get It First - Our Kickstarter backers will be the first to receive their documentary and rewards, ahead of all other customers.
- Community - We are committed to providing incredible value through our online community. The watch parties, special guest Q&As, interaction with our team, and the opportunity to input on the future of the documentary . Customers who buy after launch won’t be able to experience these same benefits.
- Join The Journey - Follow the process of creating the documentary from beginning to end. You’ll be the first to hear casting news, get to share your thoughts on your favorite ‘80s Sci-Fi films, and will also get access to rough-cuts as we build the documentary.
- Help Make Documentary a Success - Your early support will help ensure the documentary is a success. By backing us now, we can use the funds you pledge to make a documentary that does justice to the movies we love and the people that made them.
Ready join the journey? Choose your pledge level now!
In Search of Tomorrow has been in pre-production for a year already. Casting will continue throughout 2020 with filming planned to begin in the Autumn. Kickstarter backers will receive their items first and we are planning for a July 2021 release.
Our physical rewards are manufactured and shipped from the United States. Backers will receive a tracking number and our items are sent in very study packaging (posters rolled, not folded) to ensure everything arrives with you safely.
Because shipping costs vary substantially depending on whether you are in the US or Rest of World, we have decided not to include shipping costs in the pledge tiers. Instead, shipping costs are as follows:
- USA - £7 (approx. $8.80)
- UK - £12 (approx. $15)
- Rest of World - £12 (approx $15)
We are an independent producer of community-powered entertainment: long-form factual content that is funded, inspired, and shaped by a dedicated community of fans. Our projects include the critically acclaimed documentaries In Search of the Last Action Heroes and In Search of Darkness and the upcoming In Search of Tomorrow.
- Robin Block - Executive Producer & Founder of CreatorVC
- David Weiner - Director/Writer/Producer
- Jessica Dwyer - Producer
- Andrew Hawkins - Producer
- Samuel Way - Film Editor
- Nick Bosworth - Trailer/Montage Editor
- Clayton Benge - Art Director
- Paul Konschake - Motion Graphics
- James Evans - Copywriting
- Andrew Dalton - Community Manager
- Karla Hampton - Community Manager
We’ve partnered with our friends at New Retro Wave again to curate our official soundtrack. NewRetroWave is one of the leading voices in the emerging Retrowave scene, providing exposure to Retrowave artists who perfectly match the ‘80s aesthetic we’re celebrating.
Our soundtrack for In Search of Darkness was a huge success, reaching #5 on the electronic music Billboard Chart. We can’t wait to hear this one!
Risks & Challenges
As with any documentary, there are risks and challenges that may arise over the course of the production of this film. Our past experience funding, producing, and distributing documentaries, plus the year’s work we’ve already put in, means we are very confident of meeting our backer’s expectations - however, unforeseen delays are possible.
While many countries are in lockdown, due to COVID-19, we cannot start filming interviews with our growing cast. Our July release date does take this into account, but if the lockdown were to continue throughout the year we might experience a small delay to the shipping date. As always, we will keep backers fully updated regarding the situation and they will know well in advance if there is likely to be a delay.
If you were a backer of our previous project, you will know that we experienced delays with manufacturing and shipping for that product. This was due to mistakes we made when choosing a distribution partner, which led to us making a switch. We now have a very reliable US-based partner and do not anticipate further problems in this area.
Terms & Conditions
We have accurately portrayed our project as it stands at this point in time, however, creative projects are subject to change and ours is no exception. By making a pledge you acknowledge that elements of the project, including but not limited to the artwork, cast, and content, is subject to change, and that the final project may differ from what is presented while the Kickstarter campaign is active.
All backers are welcome to join our community, but to do so they must conform to the community rules which govern appropriate behavior. Repeated failure to act appropriately in the community will result in a ban.